Location: Suq el-Silah street, behind Sultan Hassan Mosque
Not wheelchair friendly
At the corner of Suq al-Silah street we find a ruined domed structure that was once a palace built between 1346-47, all that remain now is the gate to the palace of Mangak al-Yusufi al-Silahdar (the sword bearer or armorer ).
The gate was built at the beginning of his career, and his blazon with the sword of office is a prominent decoration. The shallow dome is also interesting as an example of a pure pendentive system.
This gate was at the edge of Suq al-Silah, the Armorers’ Bazaar, whose location near the Citadel was a logical consequence of its strategic importance and of the number of Mamluks quartered in the fortress. The trade of metalworking continues in this area today.